You have a dispute with a retailer but the communication has come to a standstill. Why not try mediation?
When does SEACA invite both parties for mediation?
01 Upon the case reaching a deadlock or
02 When both parties are agreeable to come forward for mediation.
Note: Mediation is purely on invitational basis.
Fees collection and pre mediation scheduling
01 Collection of mediation fees from both parties.
02 Receipts will be sent to both parties to confirm that payment has been made.
How is the mediation date scheduled?
01 Our mediation team will schedule a suitable date after contacting all parties.
02 A letter of confirmation will be sent to all parties at least a week before the mediation date.
During the actual mediation session
01 A maximum session of 2 hours
02 Only the main parties involved can attend the mediation.
03 A settlement agreement will be signed and given to both parties once a settlement has been reached.
What if during mediation, there is no settlement?
01 For all mediated cases, after the mediation session, the officer in-charge will re-assess the case and either continue with correspondences or
02 To recommend other feasible alternatives.
How do I know that my case has been closed?
The officer in-charge of your case will contact you directly to present the outcome of your case and to seek your approval for case closure.
9 facts about mediation:
- Mediation is voluntary.
- Mediators work towards encouraging both parties through interaction to arrive at an amicable settlement by themselves.
- During mediation, both parties have full opportunity to put forward their side of the story. Both parties are able to understand both sides of the coin with inclusion of mediators’ suggestions.
- Mediation allows both parties to resolve the matter through the facilitation of a mediator.
- The mediator, unlike a judge, does not make decisions on the disputes in any way.
- There is informed decision making on the terms of settlement with the facilitation of the mediators.
- Mediation sessions tend to be less stressful to both parties and, at times, are friendly conversations and clarifications.
- In mediation, there is no right or wrong or winning party or losing party. It is a win-win situation.
- If the consumer who has a dispute with a SEACA Trust accredited business requests for mediation at SEACA Mediation Centre, the SEACA Trust accredited business must attend the mediation session arranged by SEACA.
About SEACA Mediation Centre
- SEACA mediation Centre was set up in June 1999.
- As of end 2008, we have around 188 mediators.
- Our mediators are SEACA volunteers, from a wide array of professions. This ensures that our mediators have no vested interest in the dispute resolution process.
- There is a 70-80% success rate of resolving your dispute through the SEACA Mediation Centre.